<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Train Rides and Autographs

Last night I got a invite from Angie Poole, a friend and member of my writing group (all the writing group members are friends, btw) to join her and her daughters for a ride on the historic Texas State Railroad. The train runs from Rusk to Palestine (pronounced with a -steen instead of a -stein), and vice-versa. I got there just before departure, met Angie, her daughters Zoe and Jacey, and Jacey's friend Stacy.

Here we are at the Palestine end of the trip (which with depot, snack bar and gift shop is suspiciously like the Rusk side, as well). While I jotted a few notes for a Wittenburg Door Insider article, Angie brainstormed titles for a train-based story, came up with "Slow Train to Rusk, Texas." Me, I like "Rusk, Texas -- Trains Daily."

On the way back I dibsed a line Stacy shared, about dashing a short nebbish's hopes of conversing with her: after swiping her hand above his head she said, "You must be at least this tall to talk to me." Don't know if that'll be in the train story; it has so many possible applications...

After we got back to Rusk, I went out to my car and grabbed my copy Relief Journal, vol. 3, which has a short story by Angie. I brought it back to the depot and got her autograph. She said it was her first signing ever, so someday this puppy's gonna go for big bucks I'm sure. (If you don't already have a copy (un-autographed) of RJv3, click the link above to order one.)

Labels: , ,


Mikesell

2 Snarky Remarks:

Sounds like fun! Love Stacy's line. That's funny.

BTW I want an autograph from Ang . . .
Blogger Elaina M. Avalos, at 11:50 PM  
Hey Chris,

The girls just woke me up with aching tummies (must have been all those pickles and fudge bomb pops).

Since I fell asleep before 9:00 pm, now I'm wide awake, having issued out Tums and glasses of water.

Thanks for coming today, we had the best time.
Blogger Angie Poole, at 3:02 AM  

Get snarky