So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Monday, January 29, 2007

Getting People This Year?

Just checked what it'll cost to file our taxes online with the company we've used for the last few years. Almost $60. Tax-deductible next year, I believe, but still...

My sister Julia, a CPA, pointed me in the direction of irs.gov and their FreeFile program. Turns out if your AGI (automated gyroscope inverter?) is under $52,000 there are places that will prepare and e-file your federal return at no charge to you.

Will they sell your personal info? They say they won't.

On the list of companies providing the service is H&R Block, an outfit that sounds vaguely familiar (most don't). So we're looking at them this time around. State filing costs, but it's less than what the other company is charging.

If you're interested in e-filing this year, give the list a look. Try the FreeFile Wizard (not actual warlock) to see which outfits are available based on your AGI (aqueous gluten incubator? albatross galoshes investment?) and a few other factors. The money you save might be your own.

(This is not an ad. I have no expectation of remuneration or a free T-shirt. Consult a Certified Public Accountant before accepting advice from people you don't know on the Internet. Remuneration and free T-shirts will gladly not be refused should they be offered.)



2 Snarky Remarks:

The state of Kansas offers free filing online. You can even file now and pay later (by April 17), if you owe money. I don't know if Oregon offers a free e-file or not.
Blogger lindaruth, at 8:19 AM  
Yes, but will they sell your proposal for you? (Which is what I first thought you said)
Blogger Heather, at 9:42 AM  

Get snarky