<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Ready, Set, Punt!

I ran soundboard this afternoon for a memorial service at church. Toward the end of last year one of the church's two display monitors burnt out, and last month we replaced it with a multimedia projector. Unfortunately we haven't gotten the adapters that will allow us to run S-video into the projector from the soundbooth. And, unfortunately the family of the deceased wanted to play a DVD tribute mid-way through the service.

If I had brought the VGA adapter I have for my PowerBook it wouldn't have been a problem. But I didn't, so it was.

Of course we discover this when the soloist needs me to mooch him a guitar cable from the high school classroom so I can give him a soundcheck, and the visiting minister needs help with our over-the-ear cordless mike.

Fortunately the person who burned the DVD made multiple copies. So we wound up attaching a DVD player to the projector on the platform, and I had the PowerBook connected to the soundboard, each with their own DVD. During a prayer a friend of the family snuck up on stage while I lowered the house lights.

"Amen."

I run one-two-three off on my fingers and we both push play.

It's up ... it's high enough ... it's long enough ... it's ... it's ... it's ... IT'S GOOD!

And no one went wild. Because, of course, it was a somber occasion and when the soundguy has his act together, he goes unnoticed. It took me a while, but by the time the service started I had it together. I know, I was surprised, too.

Mikesell

0 Snarky Remarks:

Get snarky