<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Books a Five-Year-Old Can Read

I spent 90 minutes at Borders this afternoon getting back into my manuscript. When Dina and Phil came to pick me up I took the opportunity to have Phil try reading some book titles.

First there was a book on tape titled "The Ruby in the Smoke." I had Phil read the author's name: Philip Pullman. He got the first name no problem (it was even spelled correctly with only one "l"). We broke the last name into two parts and he put it together just fine.

Phil read a couple pages of one of Eric Hill's "Spot" books. I can't remember which, but he did okay despite the fact he had to handle a couple plurals and a contraction.

I'm not really encouraging the boy to get into chick lit, but he handled the cover of Louise Bagshawe's The Go-To Girl just fine (once he understood that "go" and "to" shouldn't be combined into the same word).

The all-caps presentation of Elizabeth Berg's The Art of Mending seemed to throw him a bit, but he had also tired of the game by that point.

We watched another episode of Electric Company before bed and he did well with the easy words at the beginning of the episode and a segment at the end of the episode where Fargo North, Decoder helps a woman reconstruct some desert island messages in bottles. What a smarty!

Mikesell

0 Snarky Remarks:

Get snarky