<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Not So Fast

This past Sunday our pastor challenged us to make a 21-day "Daniel Fast." (see Daniel 1:8-16) So I'm mostly on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc. No meat. No coffee/soda. No candy. For three weeks.

Now I'm not one to fast with a gloomy face, but is it really "fair" that Dina-the-birthday-girl chose to go to the Roadhouse for dinner tonight? She has filet mignon, I have steamed broccoli and a bacon-bitsless baked potato. I mean, c'mon!

Now I suppose there's room for specualation as to whether Daniel would have partaken of Ben & Jerry's Baklava ice cream. However, the Bible passage specifies that Daniel refused to eat "the king's food." Since Ben & Jerry were giving free scoops of ice cream out to whoever showed up, king's men or hoi polloi, I'm not sweating it.

Mikesell

3 Snarky Remarks:

Either you're going to feel very good, or it's going to be a cranky time in the Mikesell household. But I admire your determination. Actually, I suspect you will feel much better in three weeks.
Blogger lindaruth, at 12:39 PM  
I suspect things will go well, too, Linda. (I like the verse in Matthew; being cranky about the fast negates its purpose, so I have little compulsion to go there ... thus far.)

I'm rather glad to have gotten past the prime rib siren song early in the process; it would have been much more difficult and much less "fair" if it had come on Day 19 or 20.
Blogger Mikesell, at 1:39 PM  
Great Blog! I enjoyed reading it!
Vicki
Blogger Vicki McCollum, at 5:25 PM  

Get snarky