<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Prelude to a Link

Among the several hats I wear at church, one of the most enjoyable is that of Sound Guy #2. As with driver's privileges, sound guys get to choose the CD that everybody else has to listen to. In this case, the disc that provides ambience while people enter the sanctuary before the church service. Previous selections of mine have run the gamut from 2nd Chapter of Acts to U2. This morning I picked an oldie-moldie from my LP->CD collection: Oden Fong's Come for the Children. Someone asked what the disc was; I told them, but I had to look up the release date (I thought it was 1981, turns out it was '79) -- hooray for wi-fi leaking out of the administrative offices!

In the process of following internet rabbit-trails, I found an exceptionally cool site covering the Jesus Music era: one-way.org. They list the years as 1969-1979; I would've extended it into the mid-80s (1984ish), but then they'd lose the nifty "Decade of Jesus Music" slogan. Some very cool stuff here, including an excellent interview with Señor Fong. The music samples I've listened to have been awfully muddy (intentional use of -ly adverb, they're also muddily awful); if you're not familiar with the music, rest assured it sounded much better than this site makes it seem.

Plan on spending some time (pack a picnic lunch). Enjoy!

Mikesell

0 Snarky Remarks:

Get snarky