<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Thursday, March 24, 2005

I Pick the Hits

Once a quarter I fill in as the sound guy at church. One of the perks of the job is being able to turn the treble all the way up on the worship leader "just for fun." Another is picking the CD that gets played as people find their seats before the worship team begins.

Last week, Palm Sunday, I felt the mid-tempo stylings of the average praise & worship warblers wasn't going to cut it for the Messiah's triumphant entry into Jeruasalem. My choice? How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb by U2. I skipped pop sensation track 1 (Vertigo), and I doubt few people had any idea what they were listening to (except for the cool people).

This week, Easter, I'm going with tracks 6-12 from 2nd Chapter of Acts' Roar of Love. Maybe I'll throw a sop to the grey heads and close with 2CoA's "Easter Song." Maybe I'll go with Keith Green's version with the alternate second verse just to tweak 'em.

At a recent board meeting we moaned over our lack of 20-35 year-olds (your church too, huh?). Is blasting U2 from the huge mono speaker precariously suspended above the pulpit going to bring them in? Probably not, but if they're in attendence for the first time or two, it might help them open up a little. Then they meet our hockey-playing senior pastor and it dawns on them that church might not be what they're afraid of, after all. It's a theory, at any rate.

I hope Superchic[k]'s next album rocks and I'm still allowed to do sound this coming June.

Question for comment below: What CD would you play pre-worship if you could pick the hits? (and if it's something they play on K-LOVE, be prepared to defend yourself in the Court of Rock.)

Mikesell

3 Snarky Remarks:

i'm partial to jars of clay, switchfoot, third day, lifehouse, kutlass, and skillet, and pillar...just to name a few (of course i'd also use U2 and Superchic[k]in a heartbeat) jm
Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:00 PM  
WooHoo! Well, I DO get to pick, but being as I value my opportunity to make choices, I choose not to rock the boat too violently. I save my rebellion for choosing songs *I LIKE* for the worship team my husband leads, and that I run sound for about every third week. Being as I live in a retirement area, you can guess how little it takes to rock the boat around here...sigh.
Blogger Valerie Comer, at 1:47 PM  
Kinda like Jesus Freak or The Red Letters by DC Talk. Only two songs I can think of that ever made me wonder what it'd be like to make music videos. Actually sparked a few ideas on how I'd do it...
Blogger Angie Poole, at 10:01 PM  

Get snarky