<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Saturday, July 14, 2007

So This Is What That's Like

Yesterday marked the end of both summer school (where I was assistant teaching an English III class) and the summer Institute program run by Texas Teaching Fellows (to prepare me to full-time teach this fall). Yesterday was also the day I was supposed to find out my score on the TExES exam (the state exam you have to pass in your content area before you can get a teaching credential). Was supposed to, but actually found out on Thursday, instead. I passed, well ahead of the cut-off.

So now I've completed everything I need to in order to teach in September. Well, everything but find a job. Still...

Today, however, was a day of recuperating. Slept in. Then caught the webcast of Psych's season premiere. Hi-larious. Seriously. Here's a sample:
Detective "Mr. Bean/Tony Randall" Lassiter: We found something you didn't. We found prints."
("Psychic Detective") Shawn Spencer: Was he in a little red Corvette?
("Sidekick") Gus: Under the cherry moon?
Lassiter: Fingerprints!
Tim Curry and Gina Gershon guest star. Both will make you laugh out loud. A lot.

My brother, sister-in-law, and youngest nephew took me out to breakfast at Denny's. Had their new "Meat Cravers" breakfast. Yum! (On the way I stopped to deposit a check for one of the stories coming out later this month and drop a signed contract in the mail for another Wittenburg magazine piece to run in the next issue or two. Both the check and the contract surprised me yesterday.)

Then, after I got back from breakfast and watched Psych again (really folks, it's that funny), I took a nap.

The evening was spent tackling a chapter in my novel manuscript, the first time in far too long.

I worked on that at the main Half Price Books store in Dallas, and when the coffee jitters got to be too much (a cup and a half on top of all the Denny's coffee in the morning) I drove down the road to one of a dozen 7-11s in the U.S. that has been converted to a Simpson's Kwik-E-Mart. Was going to get a Squishee (cause nothing distracts from the caffeine overload like getting amped up on sugar), but with all the Grand Opening mayhem the machines were down. Took a few cellphone pix. These are what those are like:
Went to the NorthPark Center mall and wandered a bit. Stopped at the CrepeMaker for the first time and had the Chicken Cordon Bleu entree crepe. What was that like? De-freakin-licious.

I even got a new Washington state quarter in change somewhere along the way.

So what did you do new today?

Mikesell

7 Snarky Remarks:

It's hot here in the mountains--not supposed to be but it is and everyone has been searching for that least bit of AC on the campus where AC isn't supposed to be needed.
I agree about your fav sign-loved it!
Job wise, get your rest before you tackle it. Once you get the job, you won't be getting much for a while. Congrats on doing so well on the exam, though it wasn't a surprise. Knew you'd be top of the class. Way to go, dude! :-)
Blogger Jenny, at 9:28 AM  
The Simpsons movie opens on our 5-year anniversary, and I'm still trying to convince the hubby that it is not a matter of life or death not to see it on the opening day!

Cool 7-11 though. I don't think we'll see any like that here.

Kanga
Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:58 PM  
Hubby and I LOVE Psych! Have watched it faithfully since the premiere. (And Monk!) Tim Curry was fabulously snarky.

The seasons, sadly, are too brief.

BTW, in case you hadn't checked in for the announcement, DKA will no longer be publishing as of Jan 2008. New Magazine will merge the staffs of The Sword Review and DKA (and merge the pitiful budget). So, hope you'll consider subbing for MINDFLIGHTS (www.mindflights.com)

Mir
Blogger Mirtika, at 6:21 AM  
Saw that Mir. Definitely will send to the merged mag. Also noodling a couple things for the new DEP horror mag.

BTW, since the '07 DKA story contest was blind subbed, was Moonshot clearly mine or did that come as a surprise at the end of the judging? Just wondering.
Blogger Mikesell, at 9:51 AM  
I said to the other editors that I was 99% sure who wrote it. I didn't tell them who I thought it was. I was right, though. I know your voice by now.

Mir
Blogger Mirtika, at 4:26 PM  
They asked me to Managing Editor the Horror mag this week.

I'm up to my neck writing my novel and said NO. I've written 100 pages and deleted forty. Clearly, I'm having a bit of trouble.

Mir
Blogger Mirtika, at 4:27 PM  
i heard my chris laughing hysterically in the other room (a laugh he reserves for pure comedy) and went to make sure he hadn't had laughing gas. he was watching this very episode.
Blogger Heather, at 9:45 AM  

Get snarky