<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Dragons, Knights & Angels Aftermath

Well, I got to the DKA chatroom a little after six. Sure, the announcement of the four official winners wasn't scheduled until 7:00p, but time has a way of getting away from me and I didn't want to be late.

After forty-five minutes of chit-chat with the other early-birds (and waiting for Joan Rivers to show up and dish on what we were wearing) things got underway.

At 7:01, the first of two Honorable Mentions was named: “Heartwyrm” by Micheal C. Planck

At 7:03, the other H.M.: “The Waters Stir” by Rachel A. Marks

7:04, runner up: “Even a Stone” by Jane Lebak.

Then, at 7:07, the winner: "The Fortunate Purgatory of Arthur MacArthur."

Which bears a startling resemblance to the title of the story I entered.

Somehow I managed to win the contest. Word is it was a tough call, which makes my win all the more astounding and humbling.

The story is set to appear at DKA on June 27th.

Believe me, I'll keep you posted.

Mikesell

9 Snarky Remarks:

Congrats!
Blogger Katie Hart - Pinterest Manager, at 11:08 PM  
Congratulations, Chris.

June 27 will be the 24th anniversary of the first time my hubby and I said "I love you" to each other.

Ah, nice day.

So, what were you wearing?

Mir
Blogger Mirtika, at 4:44 AM  
Congratulations! It was a great story and I'm not surprised it was the winner. Good job!
Blogger lindaruth, at 7:40 AM  
Awesome, Chris! This calls for a rousing round of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" played in Dorian mode.
Blogger Jeanne Damoff, at 9:32 AM  
Hey, congrats, Cris! I'm Pixydust over at DKA and Rachel A. Marks in real life :) I was bummed to missed the chat so thanks for the blow-by-blow. Can't wait to read your story.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:37 AM  
Thanks all (esp. Linda and Snyderman, wherever he's lurking, for your help on the draft).

Mir: I was wearing a pair of sweatshorts and moccasin-style bedroom slippers. Joan would've had a field day. Congrats on your "anniversary."

Jeanne: I still don't know what that means. Since it's not a Scrubs thing (apparently), I guess I better brush up on my Oscar Wilde.

Rachel: Congrats to you, too. I have a transcript of most of the evening (I accidentally closed the browser tab at one point and lost a bit of the chit chat); want a copy?
Blogger Mikesell, at 2:11 PM  
Dorian mode is a music theory thing. In a nutshell it's a scale based on the second note in any given major scale. So, for example, D Dorian mode contains the same notes as the C major scale, but the root is D.

If you want to know more, just type "Dorian mode" into any search engine. But be sure to ask for express written permission from MLB first. :)
Blogger Jeanne Damoff, at 9:43 PM  
Geeze, Jeanne, here I am mocking something I know nothing about and you spoil it by getting all brilliant.

Fortunately the MLB is bouncing my emails and I have an excuse for remaining ignorant.
Blogger Mikesell, at 11:03 PM  
Yeah. If you actually believe all that hooey about music theory. You think I'd risk the wrath of Eustace? Think again, batman.
Blogger Jeanne Damoff, at 7:13 PM  

Get snarky