<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Fare Well, Pastor Scot

Today was a very sad day at church. Our senior pastor, Scot Williams, stepped down for health reasons. There's more to it, I'm sure, but the bottom line is some unhealthy situations at the church were taking their toll on his health and he needed to make a change.

He has the support of the district superintendant in his decision, and the district super will be filling in locally for 4-6 months to help bring health back to the congregation. I wish it were just a sabbatical or leave of absence, but it seems that's not going to be the case. <sigh>

It's a hard thing. Scot, Marilyn, and their sons, Andrew and Benjamin, will be missed. Keep them in your prayers as God leads them to greener pastures. (And for our church, too, which has already begun to splinter—and the real fingerpointing and blameshifting days haven't even begun. I pray we can find the unity to hold us together until/as the underlying illness(es) are addressed.)

If you're in a good church with good health, don't wait until next Sunday to let your pastoral staff know you love them and want to help any way you can (and mean it!). And if you're not, do what you can (insofar as it dependeth on thee) to get there. But if it's beyond your ability, come to my church and help us rebuild; I lost a friend there today* and could use another.

*I'm committed to not letting Scot slip completely out of my life, but there'll be a hollow feeling at church for awhile.

Mikesell

1 Snarky Remarks:

That's very hard. It's always hard when a pastor leaves, but when it's a symptom of deeper problems, it's even more distressing. I'll keep you and your church and your pastor's family in my prayers.
Blogger lindaruth, at 7:44 AM  

Get snarky