<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Monday, May 08, 2006

Playing Evil

I started a post this morning on the subject of "computer games I like with not-so-good good guys," but when it hit 500 words I figured I better spread it out across the week. So I thought'd I'd give y'all a heads up on what's coming and layout the criteria upon which I like the games.

Gameworld: The games let you explore realistic "alternate realities" that take you out of modern suburban life. The experience is immersive; even when playing from a third-person perspective, you believe you're the character on the other side of the monitor.

Moral choices: The games cast you as a character who has to choose between right and wrong. Sure, wrong often pays better, but you still choose your own path.

Fun: The games provide enjoyable experiences that are not just about being evil.

Replayability: Once the game is over, you still want to spend time in the gameworld. Are there still places to explore, things to try differently a second or third time around?

Now I don't only enjoy playing characters clearly on the wrong side of justice. The original Half-Life (plus the Blue Shift and Opposing Force expansion modules) scores high on all the above criteria. Even there, though, you're branded as a villain in the official government version of the "facts." Spy games like 007:Nightfire and the Cate Archer/No One Lives Forever series are favorites too; yet having a license to kill still positions you outside mainstream "acceptable" society. But I do play those games, and replay them. They just fall a bit short in the vicarious-thrill department compared to other--eviller--games.

Here's the schedule for the rest of the week: Tuesday-TIE Fighter, Wednesday-Crimson Skies, Thursday-Outlaws, Friday-Grand Theft Auto III/GTA:Vice City

So what's there to like? Stay Tuned.

Mikesell

1 Snarky Remarks:

I don't know if there's a computer version of Fable, but my boys like that game for PS2. It's a role-playing game where you make choices for good or evil -- and deal with the consequences! It's rather intriguing.

They like some of the shoot-em-ups (such as Halo), but the games they tend to play repeatedly are role-playing or combination role-playing/shooter. For some reason that I haven't completely fathomed Final Fantasy 7 is sort of their gold standard of RPGs (rich storyline, but their favorite girl-character gets killed).

My personal favorite games? Tetris (for the original Nintedo system, I actually had a copy of the Tengen Tetris with the little Russian dancers who danced after each level. Very cool) and Super Mario Brothers. I know, very old school games, but I'm a retro kind of gal. :) (and I'm terrible at video games)
Blogger lindaruth, at 2:33 PM  

Get snarky