<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Friday, January 20, 2006

Flashbacks

Spent the day at the temp job sorting W-2 statements and stuffing them into envelopes. After a couple hours I realized what a (bigger) pain it would be if everything had to be typed in with the old Selectric typewriter and carbon paper (not to mention typed thricely on a non-electric Olivetti). I think I get to work on developing a filing system next week. Yay! (Wonder if they'll go for my file-by-thickness idea...)

On the way back from lunch, I drove by the apartments near where I'm working. There were three or so bus stops, each with a couple dozen University of Oregon students waiting for a ride. Reminded me of the year-plus I spent at UC Santa Cruz and their handy (albeit slower-than-walking) jitney service. Good times.

Off-topic, but I've added a third book over in the What I'm Reading section. It Only Hurts On Monday is subtitled "Why Pastors Quit and What You Can Do about It." You could, I suppose, read the book and take away how to be awful to your pastor and get him (or her, if your church is like that) to run screaming from the parking lot, but the book doesn't really encourage that. Instead it focuses on how church members can keep their pastor(s) happy and healthy (spiritually, emotionally, physically, etc.). Some eye-opening stuff. (Our denomination's district superintendent tasked the conference delegates from each church to read and report on the book to the local administrative boards. I'm on the board and borrowed the book from one of our delegates in preparation for next week's admin. meeting.) I'm almost halfway through and enthusiastically recommend the book.

And, to merge good books and college flashbacks, (nice segue, eh?) I caught a portion of Public Radio show "On Point" this evening before mountains intervened and I lost the Jefferson Public Radio signal. An interview with the out-going and in-coming editors of the Norton Anthology of English Literature. The elder editor dithered a lot and the interviewer did some annoying over-talking, but good stuff nonetheless.

I've been going through my three big CD binders picking first-pass discs to rip and transfer to the iPod. There's some stuff in there I forgot I had. The spooky music from the computer game 7th Guest didn't make it this time around, but I am adding the soundtrack from Outlaws. A Robert Palmer/Power Station mix CD. Larry Norman's Trilogy & SNUTS. The Police. Louis Prima. A oldies mix CD that was a gift (and mostly crap), but had Commander Cody's "Hot Rod Lincoln", so I nabbed just that and Five Man Electrical Band's "Signs" off it (Sammy Johns' "Chevy Van"? Thank you, no).

iPod track count 1,527. WIP words written since Monday: 0. (One more CD binder to go, then I'm gonna take a break and get some work done. Honest.)

Mikesell

1 Snarky Remarks:

I loved Hot Rod Lincoln and Signs. (I like Tesla's version of the latter, too)

What, you said no to Chevy Van? It could serve as a reminder that there were some truly awful songs in the 70s (The Night Chicago Died, anyone?)
Blogger lindaruth, at 8:27 AM  

Get snarky