<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Friday, December 24, 2004

Christmas Comes Early: A Festive Book Review

Maybe you've been delaying buying that special something for that special someone. You've played the 12 Days of Christmas repeatedly, trying the Allan Sherman and Bob & Doug McKenzie variations in addition to the traditional one.

Maybe eleven pipers piping is a bit out of your price range ($2,050 according to CNN/Money. Maybe your honey's a vegetarian and would be insulted to receive four pounds of backbacon. Maybe you've searched everywhere for a pink satin pillow that says San Diego, with fringe all around it, but to no avail.

That's where my latest review will help you out. Last summer I picked up a few I Spy books at an outlet mall in Southern California (I blogged on it here), including the Christmas edition. If you're stumped for what to give this Christmas, you could do worse (though five golden toques would look snazzy).

Why you should read my review of I Spy Christmas: The hardest part about writing a review on an I Spy book is describing what they're like to the uninitiated. It's like a hidden picture book, but not like the old Highlights for Children puzzles where a man in the background has a comb for a mustache. In my blog entry for the I Spy Ultimate Challenger review I described it as "kinda like Where's Waldo, kinda like trying to find a AAA battery in the junk drawer." I ought to have included that description in the review itself. With the Christmas edition I described what the process is like. Even those of you who wish Waldo would stay lost or have immaculate junk drawers, I think you'll be able to relate.

Plus it's more fun that a Japanese transistor radio, even if it is a discontinued Nakashuma Mark IV with a leatherette case with holes in it, so you can listen right through the case, and a wire with a thing on one end that you can stick in your ear, and a thing on the other end that you can't stick anywhere, because it's bent.

Merry Christmas!


Mikesell

0 Snarky Remarks:

Get snarky