<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Four Word Movie Review of Bridge to Terebithia

Dis a freakin pointing.

If you've read the book (which I haven't), you may be pleased with the movie (from what I've read at imdb, it's a fairly faithful adaptation). Going solely on the marketing (what was I thinking?), the movie doesn't live up to its promise. Instead of being about the power of fantasy, it's merely about the escapism of make-believe. Yeah, buy me a ticket to be reminded of that. Sheesh.

Right up there with Happy Feet in the bait-n-switch ending department that ultimately undercuts what it was (supposedly) shooting for to begin with.

Not to spoil too much, but imagine Field of Dreams where when Kevin Costner's daughter starts choking near the end, Archie Graham can't step across the chalk line to become Burt Lancaster and save her because, as Ray "Shoeless Joe" Liotta might remind us, "We're just pretend."

Do yourself a favor and read the book first. 'Cause at least then you'll have read a book. And that's a good habit to get into.

On an up note, AnnaSophia Robb is fabulous. She reminds me here of a young Watts, Mary Stuart Masterson's character in Some Kind of Wonderful. (Let's hope she continues down that route instead of becoming the next damaged Lindsay Lohan wannabe promising child star.)

Mikesell

2 Snarky Remarks:

Remember a while back when I couldn't remember where some line came from? "You really can't see them?" and then someone got all huffy and puffy feeling made fun of? From Field of Dreams. Forgot to tell you.
Blogger Heather, at 10:35 AM  
Wow, I haven't seen, nor thought of that movie in about forever. It was one of my favorites. Angsty romance...is there anything better?
Well, of course I'm all grown up now, So maybe there is.
Blogger amyanne, at 11:52 AM  

Get snarky