<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Oh, Those Wacky Airlines

This December my folks are celebrating their 40th anniversary. All the kids (my brother, two sisters and I) are treating them to a Baja cruise, with us and our families chaperoning.

Of course, that leaves getting to Los Angeles as an adventure of our own.

We've been checking airline fares and been pretty shocked at what it'll cost a family of three to fly from Eugene to L.A. (my brother has a family of five, so I laugh in a southeasterly direction). $300+ per person has been pretty standard. Of course, we can save a bit by flying out of Portland, but with the price of gas that savings has been dwindling.

Just for giggles I checked cheaptickets.com this morning to see how outrageous flights had gotten post-Katrina. Everything was about the same: EUG->LAX=$300. Then I clicked the "search airports within 80 miles" button. Lo and behold, before listing the usual fares it showed EUG->ONT=$150*. Sure it's into Ontario, and yeah, it laysover in Phoenix for an hour. But, c'mon, $75 per person each way? Looks like we're not driving to the Southland after all.

*a hair under $200 when taxes/fees get applied; but it beats the $300-$350 ($350-$400 with add-on expenses) fares that also popped up; the cheapest Portland flight is still in the mid-$200s.

Mikesell

2 Snarky Remarks:

It wasn't one of those airlines that went broke is it?

Kanga
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:37 PM  
No. It's with American Airlines affiliates.

But I don't think Delta and Northwest went broke so much as they applied for protection against their creditors. They're still flying, trying to make enough money to become stable again so they can pay off said creditors without having to shut down or sell off. They may have to scale back operations, but from what I've heard flights out of Eugene are money makers.

--Chris
Blogger Mikesell, at 10:06 PM  

Get snarky