<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

TXPTLMS #9: Chicago

Top Ten Places That Leave Me Slackjawed
  1. Yosemite
  2. Whiskeytown Dam
  3. Santa Cruz Giant Redwoods
  4. Disneyland
  5. California Palace of the Legion of Honor
  6. South Dakota During a Thunderstorm
  7. Puget Sound on the Fourth of July
  8. Devils Tower
  9. Chicago
The band? Nope.

The musical? No way.

The movie made of the musical? Nosireebob.

Chicago is the biggest city* I've been in, so I think it's fair that my jaw dropped a little when I first visited it during the Never-Ending Road Trip.

What was the most amazing thing to a 16-year-old's eyes? Jaywalking. That's right. We were downtown and everyone was just crossing the street wherever and whenever they felt like it. Granted, I'd seen jaywalking before, done it a time or two myownself. But this was on a whole new scale; this was major-league crime going down in broad daylight. Whoa. My kind of town, indeed.

Among the sites we saw that trip were the Museum of Science & Industry, Sears Tower, and Wrigley Field, home of Jake & Elwood Blues.

A few years ago, I went back to Chicago (hmmm, it was pre-Philip, so make that 6 or 7 years ago). The jaywalking was less impressive, but I still liked the city. I made a point of seeking out a deep-dish pie (Gino's East, I believe) and an authentic Chicago Dog (Dina's second-cousin Sara drove me across town in a rainstorm to find her favorite; thanks, Sara, it was worth it!). Dina and I also shopped The Magnificent Mile, moseyed by Second City and rode the el.

I can't say I have a particular urge to go back to Chicago any time soon (I'd love to go see Sara and her husband Carson, but that's to see them; being in Chicago would be incidental). But I don't have avoidance issues, either. I'm not a big city guy; once a decade seems to be sufficient. Still, if my publicist insists on booktour after booktour in the Windy City, I won't complain too loudly. Maybe I'll even stop by and see Jake and Elwood.

*Yes, Los Angeles is bigger, but as a Northern Californian I must refrain from casting any glory on L.A. Disneyland is in Anaheim, so my #4 pick is okey-doke.

Mikesell

3 Snarky Remarks:

i don't remember much about the jaywalking, but the other highlight of the chicago trip was the mcrib sandwich at the double- story mcdonald's. jm
Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:03 PM  
I'm not much of a big city person either, but for some reason Chicago doesn't feel as much like a big city to me. Sure, it's huge, but it's still the Midwest. Maybe that's why I like it. But I hate to drive there.
Now that Megan's out of college, I won't have too many reasons to visit Chicago again for a while, which is kind of sad. It's a great city.
Linda
Blogger lindaruth, at 8:47 AM  
I seem to go back and forth. I was raised in the 'burbs of Chicago and I AM a big city person at heart. However, I've married into the country bumpkin lineage and I fit here ok. My problem has been that I really don't fit comfortably anywhere. (I guess that doesn't really surprise anyone, does it?)

You mentioned Gino's East...Now that is fine pizza. Mmmmm!!! Best in the world!

We were planning our homeschool year and I was looking at the discount days for the museums and such. You've put that urge to get to the city right away in me. It's almost like I need a "fix" of city so that I can stay in the country for awhile longer.

Next time you guys come around, we'll take you out for pizza!
Blogger ~michelle pendergrass, at 9:07 PM  

Get snarky