<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

TXPTLMS #10 Yellowstone

Top Ten Places That Leave Me Slackjawed
  1. Yosemite
  2. Whiskeytown Dam
  3. Santa Cruz Giant Redwoods
  4. Disneyland
  5. California Palace of the Legion of Honor
  6. South Dakota During a Thunderstorm
  7. Puget Sound on the Fourth of July
  8. Devils Tower
  9. Chicago
  10. Yellowstone
Number Ten was a toughie. There are still plenty of things that have left me slackjawed during my 36 years. Some of them are not printable in a family blog; so subtract those, and -- yep, I'm still left with more than one thing. Yellowstone bookends the set nicely, so I'll close the list out with that (I have another 5 or so runners up that I'll get to eventually).

By now I'm sure you're sick of hearing about my Road Trip To End All Road Trips (so I won't bother linking to it). Imagine how I felt living it -- if you can call that living. Yellowstone was pretty much the last thing we saw on the trip. I think one or two nights after seeing the park, my dad decided he'd had enough and we drove non-stop through a corner of Idaho, part of Nevada, and home (and there was great rejoicing).

My favorite part of Yellowstone were the mud pots. As with all the geothermal activity in Yellowstone, these are stinky. But they're also incredibly gross (blow air through a straw into a chocolate malt and you'll see what I mean). The geysers were cool, but they didn't top the mud pots.

My main problem with Yellowstone is it's too much of a science lesson. They want you to learn the how and the why of stuff. At Yosemite, sure you can find out about history of the park if you want, but for the most part you're welcome to stand and gawp.

Then again, we went to Yellowstone during the summer. It's probably more incredible in the spring or winter. We'll have to take Phil there in the early spring, when (I'm guessing) the wildflowers are in bloom and the local fauna aren't sleeping away the afternoon heat. Maybe that'll make it a more qualified #10 on the list or even bump it up a spot or two.

Mikesell

0 Snarky Remarks:

Get snarky