<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

My Dozenth Gadget Review

Every day at camp we take dozens of digital photos and upload them to Bunk1.com so parents and other family members can see what the campers are up to. Ideally, we swap Compact Flash cards in and out of the camera so we can upload photos while others are being taken. To pull the image data off the card, we use a little gadget that plugs into a USB port and treats the card as an external hard drive.

Very handy - until they stop working.

Then you have to connect the camera directly to the computer to download the files, and if you've lost the USB cable, you have to go with the much slower serial port connection - and then the computer crashes and you have to reboot and you express yourself in colorful metaphors and you check the Mac laptop several times to make sure they really didn't hide a serial port on there somewhere because you've been told that Macs "just work," but not if they don't have the right connector, they don't - so you wait and wait and wait and eventually all the pictures transfer and you go out the next day and buy a new USB card reader and then you write a review about it on Amazon.

Why you should read my review of the Lexar Compact Flash USB Card Reader: I do an abbreviated version of the above rant, plus I shamelessly gadget name drop, and I make a couple suggestions as to how the card reader could be improved; in short, I get my full inner geek on.

Check it out.


Mikesell

0 Snarky Remarks:

Get snarky