<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Playing Evil: Recap

So, what have I learned from exploring why I enjoy playing games with not-good-guys as heroes?

Is it as Dark Helmet says in Spaceballs, "that evil will always triumph because good is dumb"?

Or am I tapping into the writerly notion that "the villain is the hero of his own story"?

Or am I closet Dark Sider hiding behind a civilized veneer, biding my time before embarking on a multi-state killing spree.

I'll go with Door Number Two, Monty.

What makes a baddy tick? How is he "in the right" from his own perspective? What does power (dark power) do to a man?

There's an underdog element to these games as well. One man against the world (or galaxy, in the case of TIE Fighter). Sure, you're armed to the teeth in the games, but you're facing down hundreds of similarly equipped foes. A bit daunting, y'know.

And then there's the vicarious thrill. It's highly unlikely I'll be an Imperial Navy Pilot, or travel back in time and sling guns in the Old West (where'd I park my Delorean?) or alter the course of history and aircraft design. And unless I have a whole Italian heritage I know nothing about, a career as a mobster is never gonna make it on my C.V. Now why would I want to experience any of these things, even second-hand? No idea.

But it sure beats solitaire and minesweeper.

Mikesell

0 Snarky Remarks:

Get snarky