<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Friday, February 17, 2006

It's On

Yesterday at "No Rules, Just Right blogger Brenda Coulter suggested ways you could say something nice about her forthcoming novel, A Family Forever, without actually meaning you were wildly crazy about it. For instance:
"A Family Forever is a truly unforgettable book. The characters will stick in your mind."
(Just like those awful commercial jingles on the radio. Make it stop!)
Now Brenda offers open comments on her blog (as do I and all brave souls), and although she'll purge truly nasty stuff, she's a gracious hostess as long as you don't spit your chaw on her floor. Taking advantage of the situation, I posted the following comment yesterday:
This book holds up well!
(the short leg of my dining room table).

I see what you mean, Brenda. Thanks for the reviewing tips.... (I kid because I love ... and am several thousand miles away.)
Today Brenda used my last-night's-post as an object lesson in how easy it is to misconstrue someone's intentions in an online venue (e-mail, blog, etc.). Go read the whole thing some time; I'm featured prominently. Knowing that she was teasing (and knowing that she'd know I was teasing if I teased back) I posted the following comment...
...Ya make one little comment about a romance novel and a table leg and this is the abuse you get.

But really, even if you have no reason to go see Curious George, go see it. And buy Brenda's book too; 101 household uses, not including table leveling.
...and then followed up with a list of the 101 household uses in private e-mail. Over the next six days I'll be posting all 101. (Brenda has seen them all and made some suggestions which I may substitute for my own here and there; don't wig out and think I'm being all mean to her. I fully expect that she'll return the favor someday.) I'll post 17 a day, with my original bonus use appearing as item #102. Items are listed in the order I wrote them; no thought has been giving to ranking -- this ain't a Letterman countdown, people.

So, here we go:

101 Household Uses for Brenda Coulter's Forthcoming Novel, A Family Forever:
  1. Booster seat for slightly short child with narrow hips
  2. Flyswatter
  3. Incline ramp for Hot Wheels cars
  4. Animated stick-figure flipbook (stick-figure not included)
  5. Handheld fan on a hot day
  6. Rolling papers for cigarillos
  7. Non-marking disciplinary paddle
  8. The book you pull to swing open bookshelf concealing secret door to the Batcave
  9. Balance book on head to improve poise and posture
  10. Absorbent paper soaks up spills fast
  11. Shim to keep window from fully opening
  12. Shim to keep door from fully closing
  13. Awkward Frisbee
  14. Place under PowerBook to increase airflow
  15. Cut cover into 2"x3" rectangles for impromptu business cards
  16. Crease cover for use as emergency toothpick
  17. Re-giftable housewarming present
Come back tomorrow for more suggested household uses for Brenda Coulter's forthcoming novel, A Family Forever

In the meantime, go see Curious George.

Mikesell

1 Snarky Remarks:

Hey maybe when my 1st novel comes out I can include a list like this in the back of the book instead of study questions.
Blogger Unknown, at 10:41 AM  

Get snarky