<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Jeffersons

President William Jefferson Clinton came to Thomas Jefferson High School on Oct. 15, to support senate candidate Rick Noriega. The evening was as much pep rally as stump speech, and a good time was had by all.

A couple oddnesses: the Billy Joel selections in the pre-event background music mix included "Only the Good Die Young" and "You May Be Right" (which includes the lyric: "You may be right / I may be crazy / But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for"). Might I suggest "We Didn't Start the Fire" next time....

Also, Clinton made the mother of all faux pas with his "barring some miracle Obama will be the next president." Ouch.

Not sure if my vote was swayed; I do think the threat of filibuster is an important check in Congress, but we'll see....

Some pix:

And here's a few video snippets from the evening.

In his comments, Clinton mentioned when he grows up he wants to be able to tie a bowtie like John Wiley Price does. If you're not familiar with JWP and his haberdashery, behold.

Labels: ,


Mikesell

1 Snarky Remarks:

1. re: Billy Joel -- So glad I'm not the only one who thought the song choices were weird in terms of the lyrics. I think someone just thought "upbeat music + appealing to ____ age group" and stopped thinking at that point.

2. re: John Wiley Price as a dapper dresser -- it's true, no doubt about it, but my dad can remember back in the day when JWP sometimes protested in the nude. I'll try to find you any accounts of it, but my two searches of the databases for the Morning News (one covering 1885-1977) didn't catch it, and Google Advanced wasn't narrow enough. I'll track it down somehow, even if only to confirm that bizarre tale for myself.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:08 AM  

Get snarky