<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

One Story: Half a Dozen Words

Came across a set of 6-word short stories at Wired today (via Infuze). Not so much short stories as six words that suggest much, much more -- Hemingway's "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." is given as the archetype.

Some good stuff (some "dangerous words," too, so be forewarned).

My third and fourth favorites (leaving you at least two to be pleasantly surprised by):
Machine. Unexpectedly, I’d invented a time
- Alan Moore

The baby’s blood type? Human, mostly.
- Orson Scott Card
Not everything would win the Pulitz (the 6-letter prize for 6-word stories), but at least the clunkers are brief. Read 'em all.

Back in high school (Mrs. Long's Expository Writing class, to be precise) I co-wrote a 5-word story with Cyndi Branch, who sat next to me and was as unenthralled with the five-paragraph essay as I was. A minimalist, tragic, love story; went like this:
Hi. Bye. Cry. Die. Why?
You could put a "Sigh." in the there to bump it up to six words, but really that's just padding.

Anybody got a 6-word story to share with the group? Share away.

Mikesell

2 Snarky Remarks:

Ok, my number one favorite is the very last one. That just changes everything. This--coming from the girl cast as the Wicked Witch of the West her junior year of high school. And yes, I've still got the cackle down pat. Does that surprise you?

I'll have to work on my six word wonders and get back to you.

Thanks for the cool link!
Blogger ~michelle pendergrass, at 2:49 PM  
I rather liked Joss Whedon's. Pithy, if a bit gory. (but then, they're all pithy, duh).

I haven't thought of a 6-word story. I'll have to see what percolates to the top today.
Blogger lindaruth, at 7:43 AM  

Get snarky