<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Our New Neighbors

The other day as I was walking back to the house, I heard a strange scratching noise up one of the trees outside my office. It sounded a lot louder than the chipmunks and squirrels that usually climb our trees. So, having learned nothing from the horror movies I'm fond of, I looked up the tree to see what was causing the ruckus.

Hmmm ... something large and black moving up there. Well, there's been a black and grey cat wandering around lately. No, wait ... white stripe ... aaaghh -- it's a skunk! Having learned nothing from Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, I continued looking up the tree and realized it wasn't a skunk, it was a raccoon. And then, not just one raccoon, but at least four.

By the time I casually ambled into the house and grabbed the digital camera, this was the only one still interested in what was going on at the base of the tree.

Haven't seen them since, well, except for the picture....

Mikesell

2 Snarky Remarks:

I once went camping by myself to study for finals and woke in the middle of the night to find two raccoons with their heads in my cooler and bums sticking out. They were throwing food out behind them with one hand while clinging to the cooler with the other. They were tossing the food to the other two other raccoons who were rambling off with the treasures. T BONES STEAKS!!!
Blogger ~michelle pendergrass, at 12:44 AM  
I usually only see raccoons as road kill around here, but one morning a few weeks ago I saw big raccoon ambling across the parking lot behind the building I work in. He climbed up into a row of bushes between my building and the one next door. A little surprising since K-State is within the city limits, but we're on the edge of town and there's a lot of open fields just north of us.
Linda
Blogger lindaruth, at 8:13 AM  

Get snarky