<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Best Thing Since Sliced Bread, Meatballs Sold Separately

As I mentioned yesterday, Eugene just got a 24-hour Wal-Mart Superstore. I'm glad this wasn't around six years ago when Dina was pregnant with Phil. Then the 2am craving for particleboard furniture or 1-hour photo developing could be quelled with "No place is open ... do your breathing exercises." Now I'd have to go, and I'd probably pick up a couple 2/$11 videos or something from the action figure aisle while I was there. And how many copies of Sleepwalkers and Creepshow or the Ultimate Rhino do I really need?

Still, it's been fun to wander the aisles of the new grocery section. Prices are amazingly low (possibly a limited-time deal) and the frozen food section is better stocked than the Safeways and like groceries in the area. Case in point: I'd never had the Swanson's Hungry-Man "Hearty Hero" Meatball Sandwiches before yesterday. First, and most importantly, they taste very good (I had to nuke them at 40% power instead of the recommended 50% to avoid "hoagie toughness"). Second, and a close second at that, I can only eat one at a time. The Hot Pocket box counts both pockets as a separate "meal" but they don't really mean it. The Hungry Man box counts two meals and it's the real deal. I need to change my thinking that "eating a box of something at one sitting" equals "I'm full" and this is encouraging. Third, the sandwiches don't keep me up at night the way Subway's do. And then I don't keep Dina awake, either, so that's a very good thing for both of us.

If you haven't tried them before, and meatball sandwiches sound even remotely appetizing, check 'em out. You're on your own assembling the particleboard furniture.

Mikesell

0 Snarky Remarks:

Get snarky