<$BlogRSDUrl$>

So Much Stuff I Can't Recall

Monday, April 18, 2005

I Blame My Father

I've seen the What Kind of American English Do You Speak? quiz a couple places online (jordoncooper.com was the first, I think). Here's how I did:


Your Linguistic Profile:

55% General American English
20% Upper Midwestern
20% Yankee
5% Dixie
0% Midwestern

Then I took the "Southern Dialect Quiz" (thanks winxpnews), and came up "34% (Yankee). A definitive Yankee.'; }." This quiz breaks down your answers by region as you go. Of the 20 questions, 8 came up with a Great Lakes influence. Thank you, Mr. Michigan.

So when you hear my pronunciation of caramel, pajamas, and route; or hear me say frosting, frontage road, drinking fountain, TP'ing, and pillbug, you'll know where I get it from.

And who to blame.

Of course, when my car battery was dead this morning and I called him on the phone, he did walk me through how to use a trickle-charger. So he's had a good influence, too, I guess.


Mikesell

2 Snarky Remarks:

Hey, I speak:

40% Yankee
35% General American English
20% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

Not bad for an Aussie don't you think?
Kanga
Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:40 PM  
It's amazing how far you progressed in just one summer. O% Aussie-speak (unless you count the 20% Dixie for being far, far below the Mason-Dixon line) - incredible!

--Chris
Blogger Mikesell, at 2:36 PM  

Get snarky